Sunday 23 June 2013

Naughty Hollie

Yes, naughty Hollie hasn't updated her blog in four months. You could be forgiven for thinking nothing has happened around here. Well, it's not true. Here's what's been going on:

The Morrells - a cocktail covers duo in Yorkshire


Brian and I have been rehearsing like mad, getting our act together for our piano and vocal covers duo which will soon be performing at hotels, restaurants, weddings and conferences around Yorkshire. There is some info about the duo here and we also have a new Facebook page. We only have 11 likes so far, so we'd love it if you could give us another lovely like!

As if you would let ink fall onto your piano!


I'm continuing to write new songs now and then, and although I usually hide new stuff until I feel it's completely "ready", this newest batch is on show even though it's still raw. Head on over for a listen and please do give your feedback. There's a place to add comments at the bottom of every page.

My new favourite instrument
 
I've tried for years to play guitar, without much success. My fingers won't physically stretch to make certain shapes, and I have particular trouble with bar chords. So when I saw this cute little ukulele in a charity shop during a recent trip to Scotland, I thought I'd try it out. It's much smaller than a guitar, so my fingers don't have to stretch as far. I was delighted to find that I learnt the chord shapes quickly and can even play a few bar chords on this little baby. So it's time to finally realise a dream of mine.
 
I need a sexy hat too

Now that I have found my perfect busking instrument, it's time to take it out onto the street. I know this won't be easy. They say that a busker's audience is the most honest audience of all. This will be a great way for me to test Joe Public's reaction to certain songs. I will entertain (and in some cases annoy) them, and in return they will teach me.

My local town of Doncaster operates a permit scheme for buskers, so I had to fill in an application form, send it in with two passport photos, and then I got invited for an audition. It's this Wednesday. If all goes well and I'm issued with my busker's permit, I may just go straight out onto the street and do my thing.

Wish me luck.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment